What's new

Review Mercedes EQA 250+ Review – Is the Extra Range Enough?

tesla 1

Member
The updated Mercedes EQA 250+ brings more range and a few design changes, but is that enough to make it a strong choice among today's compact electric SUVs?

This review takes a closer look at what the 2024 EQA 250+ offers and whether it still makes sense against newer EV rivals.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
The EQA is an interesting one because it feels like a Mercedes first and an EV second.

I actually like that, but I wonder if that's also its biggest weakness now. A lot of newer EVs give you more space and technology for the money, while the EQA still has that more traditional premium-car feeling.

For me, the question isn't really whether the EQA is good. It's whether that Mercedes feel is worth paying extra for.

Would you choose this over something like a Tesla Model Y or Volvo EX40?
 
The EQA is an interesting one because it feels like a Mercedes first and an EV second.

I actually like that, but I wonder if that's also its biggest weakness now. A lot of newer EVs give you more space and technology for the money, while the EQA still has that more traditional premium-car feeling.

For me, the question isn't really whether the EQA is good. It's whether that Mercedes feel is worth paying extra for.

Would you choose this over something like a Tesla Model Y or Volvo EX40?

I’d take the EQA over the Model Y for comfort and cabin feel, but the range isn’t the real issue for me. It’s the space you give up for the price. Mercedes has improved the EQA, but the competition has moved even faster.
 
What I’d really like to know about the EQA 250+ isn’t the official range, but how many miles it can realistically deliver at 70–75 mph on the highway. I think that tells you much more about an EV than the advertised figure.

If the larger battery genuinely means fewer charging stops on longer trips, the 250+ becomes a much more interesting proposition. But if that extra range disappears quickly at highway speeds, then a bigger number on paper doesn’t really change the EQA’s position against newer rivals.
 
What I’d really like to know about the EQA 250+ isn’t the official range, but how many miles it can realistically deliver at 70–75 mph on the highway. I think that tells you much more about an EV than the advertised figure.

If the larger battery genuinely means fewer charging stops on longer trips, the 250+ becomes a much more interesting proposition. But if that extra range disappears quickly at highway speeds, then a bigger number on paper doesn’t really change the EQA’s position against newer rivals.

That’s a good point. I’d go one step further though on a long trip, I think total travel time matters more than range alone.

A car that goes 20–30 miles farther between stops isn’t necessarily better if it then spends longer at the charger. I’d be interested to see the EQA 250+ compared with its newer rivals over a real 400–500 mile journey, including charging stops rather than just measuring highway range.
 
I think there’s another factor that matters just as much on longer trips: predictability.

The best EV isn’t necessarily the one that goes the farthest on paper, but the one where you know roughly what to expect at highway speeds, in bad weather, or during winter. If the EQA 250+ can deliver consistent efficiency at around 70–75 mph and maintain decent charging performance, that would mean more to me than another 20–30 miles of advertised range.

I’d really like to see it tested on a genuine 400–500 mile winter highway trip. Are there any EQA 250+ owners here who have done something similar? How predictable were the range and charging stops?
 
Top